Sunday, June 7, 2009

On My Way to Paraguay


Dear friends and family,

Today is my 21st birthday and I am overwhelmed with gratitude. I leave for the Missionary Training Center this Wednesday and am so excited for the opportunities that await.

Many of you were able to attend my BBQ last night and I couldn't believe how much love I felt from all of you. In the final scene of my favorite movie, "Big Fish," the main character, Edward Bloom, who is dying, is taken to the river (a very significant place for him). As Bloom is carried down to the edge of the water (symbolic of his death), he encounters all of the people that have meant so much to him and have blessed his life. Even though he is about to leave these people, they are all cheering, laughing, and celebrating his life.

So I know it may sound a little dramatic (since I'm not dying after all), but I think I probably felt like Edward Bloom did. I looked around and saw so many people that I loved and cared about (not to mention all of the cards, e-mails, phone calls, text messages, visits, etc.) and felt so happy before I had to leave them all.

I am so excited to serve my mission. I know that it will be one of the greatest blessings of my life and I hope that in a few short words every week or so that I will be able to share some of my greatest joys with any of you who are willing to listen. I also hope I didn't ruin the ending of "Big Fish" for any of you who haven't seen it.

My mom, Kathy (or Katrene :)) will be managing my blog for me while I am gone. I hope to hear from some of you and am excited to return next Christmas to see how you are all doing.

Thank you for your love and support!!!

-Sister Rachel Edwards

For those of you who would like to learn more about the church and what I will be doing for the next year and a half, here are the links to some great resources. Share them with your friends and family!!!

Mormon.org
LDS.org
Paraguay.com
Missionary Program
The MTC (Missionary Training Center)

1 comment: